Are you wondering how to capitalize on the renewed energy that the new year brings? Gather together stakeholders and decision makers and do what one organization we work with called a “hot wash.” Take a fresh look at decisions, assumptions, and plans using these questions. It’s kind of like sending your car through the car wash and seeing it come out all clean and shiny. Ask your team:
1. What strategic goals do we have that make relationship management a priority now?
2. Which relationships have brought us the best information and referrals in the past? What successful patterns of development can we replicate in 2017? What activities haven’t been worth the time and money spent?
3. Who do we already know? Who do we need to know? Where will we meet these people?
4. What behaviors tend to build trust with key contacts? What’s the best protocol for initiating relationships? How can we best show our character and competence in the marketplace?
5. What skills do we need as individuals to cultivate business connections? How are we going to train people over time in rainmaking? Is each person on the team ready to talk about his or her own specialty, explain why that service/product is superior, and be an ambassador for the whole organization?
For the organizations we work with, these kinds of questions provide a fresh start and renewed energy for business development. We invite you to use them to make sure that your next prospect sees you as the natural and only choice.